Exhibiting at Gallery One
Gallery One (MVAC) is an independent and not-for-profit initiative (founded in 1974), one of the longest running organisations of its kind in Australia.
Located within Mitcham Cultural Village, 1 Torrens Street Mitcham, the Gallery promotes and showcases art and crafts with a strong community and art teaching focus within a working studio/gallery – driven by energy, motivation and passion and supported by the countless hours of many dedicated volunteers.
Gallery One is looking for individual artists or collectives interested in exhibiting. We are seeking painters in any medium, photographers, printmakers, textile artists, and artists working in three dimensional mediums including glass, ceramics, wood and metal.
Space and exhibition specifics
- The Gallery and Atrium areas have a total of 40 lineal meters of hanging space
- 5 solid display plinths
- Display cabinets and easels
- 3 week exhibition including launch on a Friday evening (excluding set up and pack-up time)
- Gallery open Tuesday to Friday 10am – 4.30pm plus one Sunday by arrangement
- Additional weekend openings by arrangement with the artist providing staffing
- $500 for the Gallery and Atrium Space
- It is possible to rent the Gallery space separately subject to availability (at a fee to be negotiated)
- The Gallery charges a commission of 30% (of the sale price on all works sold – generally all works are accepted for sale).
- Gallery One accepts no responsibility for any of the artist’s works and strongly recommends that artists insure their own works against loss for the duration of the exhibition including transport to and from the Gallery.
- Artists are responsible for all costs associated with freight and work to and from the Gallery.
- Artists are responsible for physically hanging and displaying of artwork. Gallery volunteers are available to advise and assist with the display of artwork. Artists must provide a schedule of works and prices (at least 10 days before the exhibition opening).
- Launch evenings will be the first Friday evening of the Exhibition
- Gallery One hosts the launch and arranges a Guest Opener (in consultation with the exhibiting artists)
- Design of invitations, flyers and catalogues if required
- Printing of 50 invitations – standard size (3-4 invitations per A4) in colour
- E-Invitations to Gallery’s mailing lists
- Media release and e-promotion of the exhibition
- Printing of 50 catalogues – additional printing can be arranged at extra cost
- Catalogue 1 double-sided A4 page, black & white.
- $250 deposit on booking of exhibition
- Balance payable 6 weeks prior to exhibition opening
Artist cost and responsibilities
- Launch refreshments (drinks and nibbles can be arranged by Gallery, at cost)
- Additional advertising
- Mailing of personal invitations
If you are interested in exhibiting forward your proposal to Gallery One Coordinator Sanya Zunic on 8272 4504 or email email@example.com If you would like some assistance or guidance with your proposal please contact us as we can provide templates and mentorships for emerging artists.